I love my beauty products, but some of them can be really expensive, especially if you want to use them on a regular basis.
Being a mum now, I still want to take care of myself , so from time to time I will either have a pamper session or I`ll just do the odd face or hair mask.
Since I can remember I have loved making my own body scrub or hair mask, with products that you probably have in your home right now.
One of the best things about whipping up your own mask or scrub is that you know exactly what goes into them.
So many expensive beauty products, that are all natural and organic, you can make yourself for so much cheaper.
I`ll share with you my go to body scrubs, lip scrub, two different hair and face masks, depending what needs your attention at that moment.
1. COCONUT OIL
This is not really a DIY, but I thought I would share this with you anyway.
You have read about this before, but I really love coconut oil.
Mostly for my hair but sometimes I will use this on my body as well.
About once a week, I`ll apply coconut oil all over my hair and either will leave it on for 30min or even over night, just be careful that if you do that, you put a towel down on your pillow so the oil doesn`t ruin your sheets.
What I do is, I take a little ramekin or any other small dish, spoon out about a tablespoon of organic coconut oil(use more if you have more hair, my hair is really short at the moment, so that is how much I use).
If you have ever worked with coconut oil, you know that usually it is in a solid state, but you can either warm it between your hands and apply to your hair or what I do is, I will boil some water, pour it in a bigger bowl and then melt the coconut oil in a hot water bath.
Don`t use the microwave to do this as it might take away from the benefits of coconut oil.
After you have melted the coconut oil, just apply it all over your hair, starting from your roots going to the ends.
For extra goodness, after applying the oil, put your hair upside down and give your scalp a little massage to stimulate blood circulation and prevent hair loss.
2. AVOCADO HAIR MASK FOR DRY AND DAMAGED HAIR
I would put this mask on my hair straight onto the coconut oil after at least having it my hair for a half an hour.
This is so easy to make and it smells so good as well. ALSO, it`s like two ingredients, no extra packaging, amazing for the environment.
- One small avocado(you will need more, if you have longer hair)
- Two tablespoons of raw honey(again, use more if you have more hair)
- If using raw honey, melt it in a hot water bath before hand for easier use, especially if you will be doing this by hand.
- Place both of the ingredients in a blender and blend it all up or if you are mashing them by hand, make sure the avocado is almost too ripe, place melted honey and avocado in a bowl and mash it all up.
- Either put it straight on the coconut oil hair or if you hair doesn`t have anything on, dampen it a little bit and then massage the mask on your hair, concentrating on the ends as they are usually the driest.
- Leave it in your hair for a half an hour and then wash it out like normal.
This mask really gives shine and moisture to your hair and makes it feel amazing afterwards.
3. AVOCADO HAIR MASK FOR LONG HAIR
Ever since I cut my hair, I have been regretting it, not going to lie.
This is the shortest it has been and I don`t know, it`s just not making me feel as good as I thought it would.
So I`ve been trying different things to help with hair growth.
Also, after giving birth, I experienced quite a bit of hair loss and now I am dealing with A LOT of baby hair regrowth.
To help speed this up a little bit, I have been using another avocado hair mask.
Haven`t noticed a massive difference yet, but it does make my hair look healthy and shiny.
- One small avocado(you will need more, if you have longer hair)
- One egg yolk(don`t worry, we will use the egg whites later)
- Put the avocado and egg yolk in a blender, and blend it until everything is incorporated.
- If mixing by hand, put everything in a bowl and mash until mashed together in a thick paste.
- Put all over your hair and leave for 20 minutes.
- Wash it out like normal, rinse with cold water for extra shine.
As the masks dries, it kind of forms a hard shell, but when you start rinsing it out with warm water, it will soften up and come out with shampoo.
1.CINNAMON,HONEY AND NUTMEG MASK FOR ACNE
My skin has not been the best recently.
At first I thought it was because of that time of the month, but now when that has passed, my skin still keeps breaking out.
I have seen this before and linked it to our diet change.
We tried KETO, which means that we started having quite a lot of dairy in our diet(lactose free for me), but even thought it is lactose free, it is still dairy, which has been responsible for my breakouts in the past.
I have cut out dairy now, but my skin is still breaking out a little bit so with this face mask I am trying to heal any acne still left, right in time for the holidays.
- 2 tablespoons raw, organic honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
If the mixture is too runny add more equal parts of cinnamon and nutmeg, if too thick, add a bit more honey.
- Melt honey in a hot water bath
- Mix together honey, cinnamon and nutmeg until a paste forms
- Apply to clean skin, with a clean brush
- Leave it on for 10 minutes
- Wash off with warm water, pat dry and apply the rest of your skin care
DO NOT use this face mask if you are allergic to any of these ingredients.
The cinnamon will make your skin all tingly, but after washing this off, it leaves your skin soft, glowy and less red.
You can even use this as a facial scrub afterwards by just adding a little bit of water to your face and then massaging the mask gently onto your skin, be careful not to be too rough as this can scratch your skin.
I love this mask for acne, because it is so natural, again only 3 ingredients.
Honey has anti-inflammatory properties, so has cinnamon, adding these both together, they will combat any infection or bacteria you might have on your face.
It is a bit messy, but all totally worth it.
2. EGG WHITE TIGHTENING FACE MASK
Remember, when I made the avocado egg yolk hair mask, I said I would use the egg whites as well?
Well, this is the mask for it.
I will either use this mask after the cinnamon mask or any other mask, or just on it`s own if I feel like it.
This is great for that instant face lift pick me up, that is great before a party or an event.
- One egg white
That`s it, I know.
- Take a bowl, or a blender, or a bottle with a shaker in it and whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Apply all over your face, neck and chest with a clean brush, apply this even under your eyes, anywhere you might notice signs of ageing.
- Leave on your skin until dry, DO NOT move your face as the egg whites will flake off.
- Wet a facecloth with warm water and wash off the face mask.
- Follow with your usual skin care.
I love this mask!
You can buy similar enzyme masks, with tightening properties but they have so many ingredients in them, as well as they can be sometimes expensive.
This is just one ingredient and works wonder.
My husband would never tell you, but he loves it too.
He has really expressive eyebrows, which means he has quite a few defined lines on his forehead, this is quick and easy, and leaves his and my skin soft and glowy.
3. SUGAR LIP SCRUB
I think we all know about the LUSH sugar lip scrub, but did you know it`s crazy simple and cheap to make it yourself?
I have been doing this for absolutely ages, whenever I need it.
It is easy to customise as well, if you want to plump your lips or give them extra moisture.
- One teaspoon of granulated sugar or brown sugar
- One teaspoon of honey
- Half a teaspoon of coconut oil
- For extras you can use: cinnamon, peppermint oil, sweet almond oil.
- In a small bowl or ramekin mix together sugar, honey and coconut oil
- Apply to your lips in circular motion
- Wash off (or lick off!) the scrub
- Apply either more coconut oil or lip balm to moisturise your lips
You can add a drop of peppermint oil or a little bit of cinnamon to give your lips a more plumped effect, just be careful not to add too much as your lips will sting.
Swap out coconut oil for sweet almond oil for some added hydration.
Again, it`s so easy to make this in small batches whenever you need this, with ingredients you probably already have in your house.
By now you know that I like to apply fake tan sometimes, to give me a bit more confidence.
One of the main things you need to do, for your tan to look great is to exfoliate your body.
I have found a few body scrubs that I like, but I keep coming back to the ones I can make myself, just because, they are easy to make and always available.
1. COFFEE BODY SCRUB TWO WAYS
This scrub is a great way how to recycle any used coffee grounds you might have.
If you don`t drink ground coffee, just buy the cheapest ground coffee you can find and by even doing this you are going to save more money, than buying a ready made scrub
There are two ways how I make this body scrub
1) Coffee grounds + coconut oil
2) Coffee grounds + body wash
For both methods you will need:
- Ground coffee (ideally already used coffee, for recycling purposes)
- Coconut oil
- Or body wash
Just mix either coffee and body wash or coffee and coconut oil, together until everything is incorporated and apply all over your body in circular motion, starting from your feet going up.
This scrub won`t only exfoliate your body but also your hands, which I need in this cold weather.
BE AWARE, this scrub is very messy, so I suggest applying this in the shower where you can clean it up easily afterwards.
If you want to use this before applying fake tan, I would suggest doing the method with body wash as coconut oil might leave a greasy residue, which will make it harder for you to shave, and also your tan might not stick as well.
If you do not want to apply tan after, use coconut oil as it will moisturise your skin, leaving it soft and glowy.
For an added bonus, apply coconut oil all over your skin after the scrub as well.
It smells amazing and if it helps you recycle old coffee grounds, even better.
Also, my husband loves how the bathroom smells after I have done the coffee scrub.
2.SUGAR BODY SCRUB
This is so quick and easy, not as messy as the coffee scrub as well.
- Granulated sugar
- Body wash
- Mix both ingredients in a bowl
- Apply all over your body in a circular motion
That`s it, SO quick and simple.
You have to be quite quick when using this scrub as the sugar will start to dissolve, but it`s so quick and easy, a mess free body scrub.
You can add some coconut oil to this as well if you want, but I find that if you have a moisturising body wash, the coconut oil is not needed.
P.S. These can get messy, so either wear a robe or put a towel on your shoulders.
These are my quick, simple and easy DIYs, that I feel like anyone can do as most of the ingredients you probably have in your cupboard already.
Comment on this post or DM me on any of my social media if you would like me to write about my winter pamper routine, to get myself ready for the holidays.